Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mary Shelley Might Had Vicki Belo in Mind When She Penned "Frankenstein"

I've been away from the blogging circulation lately because my computer at home crashed. Good thing my beloved IT guy (Dexter Q) fixed it! Anyway, during the days I was having my blogging rest, Boy Abunda (King of Philippine Talk Show) and Dra. Vicki Belo (known for her dermatological services on high-profile members of Philippine showbiz, politics, elite and high-society) had a face-off at the showbiz arena. Well, my story might be too old but for the benefit of my foreign readers (whoa!) I'll give a gist.



On nationwide TV, Vicki Belo glibly said in an interview, “If you want to look like Boy Abunda go to Calayan and if you want to look like Dingdong Dantes and Piolo Pascual go to Belo”. Boy Abunda, who endorses Calayan (Belo's rival surgery and dermatology center), was really offended (who wouldn't?!). To which, Boy's reaction was, "Vicki if you are watching, you know that I did not do anything bad to you to deserve this insult...alam mo na kahit kailan, kahit kailan, hindi ako namuhunan sa gandang panlabas. Alam mo, namumuhunan ako sa lakas ng loob, sipag, tiyaga at dasal. At Vicki, wala akong ilusyong maganda ako, wala akong ilusyon. Pero wala rin sinumang may karapatang manlait sa aking pagkatao" (READ: [...] you know that I never invested in outer beauty. You know, I invested in courage, diligence, perseverance and prayer. And Vicki, I never had an illusion that I'm handsome, never. But nobody has the right to mock me.)



Boy really made sense when he uttered those lines. I didn't make this blog to defend him in anyway (obviously, he's influential enough to gather public sympathy) and my slant may be super mean but I'd like to have a say on Vicki's inhumane statement. Scorn redounds upon the haughty.

Being the forefront in plastic surgery business, Vicki has underwent quite a number of surgeries herself (e.g. breast augmentation, face lift, nose lift, to name a few) and she blindly believes her self-made facade a BEAUTY! Having written the novel in 1818, Mary Shelley might had envisioned the future and had Vicki Belo in mind when she penned "Frankenstein!" And may I add, that the difference between Madame Auring and her is the absence of moola to pay good surgeons!



Just to sidetrack, while I was in the office this morning, Pao, Essiebot, and I were making a so-called comparative analysis of the different faces of Vicki Belo, of which she was high-and-mighty. We noticed her mirror-perfect, slightly open-mouthed pose in all her photos. Oddly though, her claim-to-fame advertisement copy that goes "Willie (Revillame) makes you laugh, Belo makes you happy" look askance at her own happiness. She doesn't have the mere appearance of merriment or a good hearty laugh lest she'll get smile lines and fine wrinkles! Good thing for Boy, he could laugh his head off at Vicki's unfortunate stance because although it took hard-learned science to have her face done that way, she still has to put on thick make-up and rely on the magic of Photoshop to look and feel beautiful! (See photo below to believe!)


Considering ethics, VIcki hit Boy below the belt by stating the obvious. But I like Boy's statement (I hope it strikes Belo like a dagger aimed at the very center of her soul! LOL), “At mga kaibigan, hindi po tayo kasi kailangang maging kasing [gwapo] ni Dingdong para maging masaya at para maging mabuting tao" (READ: And friends, we don't need to be as handsome as Dingdong to be happy and be a better person.)

At 53, Vicki (the way she presents herself in public) has a shallow perception of happiness--physical beauty and material things bring joy to humans. How does she define happiness now after her May-December love affair has ended because of her boyfriend's involvement with a sexy actress who was younger and evidently, more beautiful than her? She can console herself with her millions...a just deserts for having such arrogance!

Anyway, at the end of each day, Boy (and in this case, the underdog) can prove to himself that he's happy for what he is. On top of that, Boy has somebody to come home to while "poor" Vicki just lost hers! Tsk, tsk, tsk!


Thus, if you want to have a face like Vicki, go to Belo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I love your wit, but there is much wisdom in what you say also. I agree attacking a person on their physical appearance is below the belt.